James Madison University, May 2011
email: johnsoan [at] jmu [dot] edu
James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA
Bachelor of Arts, May 2011
Minors: Spanish & Humanitarian Affairs
- Ashley Johnson is a Junior Media Arts and Design major with a concentration in Corporate Communication and a double minor in Spanish and Humanitarian Affairs.
- Ashley will graduate in May 2011 with a Bachelor of Arts degree and is hoping to pursue a career in Communication for a nonprofit organization.
- Ashley’s values, passion, and dedication to her education and involvements have given her a well-rounded perspective on life. Ashley strongly believes in fostering positive relationships, authenticity, and service.
- Ashley has strong communication and public speaking skills, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work effectively on a team, as well as be a strong leader.
- Ashley is an enthusiastic, open-minded, and positive individual who is constantly seeking opportunities for personal growth. In her time at JMU, she has excelled in balancing her academic coursework and involvements, and continues to seek experiences that will challenge and empower her.
- Ashley is currently a Student Orientation Coordinator at JMU, and her responsibilities include recruiting and selecting 28 Orientation Peer Advisers (OPA) and 10 Assisting New Transfer Students (ANT), developing the training for the OPAs and ANTs for Orientation programming, and supervising the team of OPAs and ANTs.
- Ashley served as a 2009 Orientation Peer Adviser at JMU, and her responsibilities included facilitating discussions during Summer Springboard with incoming first year and transfer students, supervising a group of 18 First yeaR Orientation Guides (FrOGs), collaborating with a team and partner in order to assist with Orientation programming, and assisted with training and preparing the FrOGs for 1787 August Orientation.
- During the Summer of 2008, Ashley worked as an intern for Max Media of Hampton Roads and did various tasks relating to publicity, broadcast, and on-air related programming for WXEZ-FM Star 94.1. She also assisted in developing and editing the new feature, “Star Spotlights” and did voice-over work for their spots, PSAs, and commercials.
- Ashley was a member of the Sophomore class Ring Premiere committee during the 2008-2009 school year. She had the opportunity to help design the class ring along with a group of students, and plan and create the Ring Premiere event.
- From the Fall of 2005 to the Summer of 2008, Ashley worked at Moe’s Southwest Grill as a cashier and server. She was able to work in a fast-paced environment that was team oriented. She interacted with customers daily, thus enhancing her communication, interpersonal, and multi-tasking abilities.
- Ashley used a wiki to collaborate with a group in writing an analysis on the effectiveness of blogs and podcasts. This gave her the opportunity to conduct research, apply it to a specific topic, and work with a group solely using online technologies.
- Maintained a blog on social media for nonprofit organizations, and created a video and podcast supporting the information provided in her blog.
- Ashley learned the importance and context of information and communication technologies, especially social media, and its uses and implications in our society.
Principles of Advertising
- Ashley is currently enrolled in this course and is working with a group to develop an advertising campaign for the March of Dimes.
- The campaign includes bilingual content that is translated into Spanish and English, news releases, public service announcements, advertisements, and various advertising related materials.
Corporate Media Writing
- Ashley enhanced her writing abilities and developed skills in strategically writing content as a Corporate Communication practitioner.
- Pitch Letter– This is a pitch letter written on behalf of the Atlanta’s Children Shelter to the News Editor of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- News Release– This is a news release for the fictional corporation, International Air Conditioning, Inc.
- Problem Statement– This is a problem statement for the fictional Weloff & Thensum Museum dealing with a controversial exhibit.
- Public Service Announcements– This is a sample television and broadcast PSA for the Atlanta’s Children Shelter.
Introduction to Videography
- Ashley learned various techniques relating to filming, composition, and video editing. The following is a sample of an assignment:
Introduction to Web Design
- Ashley learned the basics of web design, HTML script, and the elements of effective design layout. The following are sample web page designs:
Introduction to Print Communication Design
- Ashley had the opportunity to utilize her creativity and create various projects using the Adobe Suite software. The following are samples of her work:
Audio and Video Editing Software
- Garage Band
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Various Social Media Applications
- Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
- Alternative Break Program Participant, Cafe 458, Atlanta, Georgia
- Alternative Break Program Participant, Peru 109, Trujillo, Peru
- Gus Bus Volunteer, Harrisonburg, Virgina
- Alpha Phi Omega, Community Service Fraternity
- JMU Student Ambassadors
“Ashley is a compassionate individual who provides sound leadership to the Orientation Student Staff. Her compassion for helping others is evident in how she maintains relationships with co-workers, peers, and the students she helped transition to the JMU community. Ashley’s leadership has infused spirit and dedication to service into the 2010 O-Team.” -Kelly Rifenbark, Coordinator of Student Staff
Video: This video examines the effective uses of social media in the nonprofit sector, and how it can be strategically implemented into the communication goals and objectives of a nonprofit organization.
Podcast: This podcast offers insight on how nonprofit organizations are successfully utilizing social media, and provides tips and advice for nonprofits seeking the benefits of these new technologies.
Download Ashley’s resume here.